The American Institute of Health Care Professionals, Inc. offers a comprehensive, quality, Certification program for those professionals meeting the appropriate pre-requisites, in Pet-Loss Grief Recovery. This certification focuses on the validation of the attainment of advanced continuing education related to all facets of grief/bereavement due to “pet loss.” This program is open only to those professionals meeting established prerequisites. Click on the red link above “Education Program” for full details.
Objectives of the Pet Loss Grief Recovery Certification Program are:
- Provide a high quality program of Certification for qualifying professionals working in health care and practicing in the specialty or adding to their specialty practice, “Pet-Loss Grief Recovery.”
- Develop and support high standards of education and practice requirements for the attainment of certification.
- Provide a mechanism for the ongoing involvement of a peer advisory board of qualified professionals to oversee program development and requirements for certification.
- Provide society with a mechanism to ascertain the appropriate education, skills, knowledge and experience required by professionals who offer such services.
- Establish quality standards and requirements for the recertification of its credentialed members, attesting to ongoing education and skill attainment in the practice specialty of pet-loss grief recovery.
- Provide a comprehensive program of approvals for continuing education, seminars, offerings, independent study, and other related educational activities, to ensure high quality standards are met and that such programs are of value to professionals practicing pet-loss grief recovery.
Pet Loss Grief Recovery Certification
Certified Pet Loss Grief Specialist – requires attainment of the following certification criteria:
- Completion of an official, established education program to prepare qualified candidates/professionals, for the practice of Pet-Loss Grief Recovery.
- Candidates for the Certification must successfully complete the continuing education program by The American Institute of Health Care Professionals, Inc. Completion of the required education courses qualifies the educational component necessary to apply for Certification. This program consists of 170 contact hours of continuing education. See Full Program: Access here.
- Requisite for all Applicants for Certification: in addition to meeting the educational criteria as provided above, applicants for Certification must meet at least one of the following requisites: is a registered nurse, physician, veterinarian, social worker, licensed counselor, psychologist, licensed clergy and/or ordained minister practicing in current ministry in the areas of grief/bereavement, a licensed funeral director who provides pet burial services, or a currently certified grief counseling by the American Academy of Grief Counseling. Note: veterinary assistants who have attained an undergraduate degree, and who work under the supervision of a licensed veterinarian, may qualify. Other credentials may apply if approved by the American Academy of Grief Counseling.
If you would like to find out if you meet the qualifications for this certification program. Please submit an Inquiry Form at the following link: Access Here.
Certification – Identification & Credentials
Those applicants who become certified by the AIHCP in Pet-Loss Grief Recovery may use the initials/credential “PGRS-C” after their names: “Certified Pet-Loss Grief Recovery Specialist”
We have a dedicated page that provides a quick over-view of our certification process. It will provide you with good information about the process/phases of both the education courses and application for certification. To access: click here.
All certifications shall be for a period of 4 years from the date that the initial certification.
Certified members may receive re-certification at the expiration of their four year term by:
- Obtaining 50 or more hours of continuing education within the four year period of certification. Click here to view the Criteria for Re-Certification.
Those applicants who have successfully achieved certification, or recertification receive a large size official Certificate attesting to certification, as well as an official letter of notification. The certificate is suitable for framing and details the official professional certification title, initials that may be used, and time frames for certification. Those recertifying receive a new, updated certificate. Wallet size identification cards of certification are also presented.
- The certification fee for the Pet-Loss Grief Recovery Specialist is $200.00 for the four year term of certification. Payment in full is due at the time of application. If an applicant does not meet certification criteria, the application fee is refunded. A completed application must be mailed in with full payment to be considered for certification. Application is available on this website.
- Application for re-certification is $200.00 for the next four year period. This is a one time payment and is required in full at the time of application for re-certification. A completed application must accompany the payment.
- Major credit cards are accepted. Check and money orders are to be payable to: The American Institute of Healthcare Professionals.
Education Programs for Re-Certification
Applicants may obtain education hours by completion of any type of formal program in specifically related to grief, bereavement, mourning. Such programs include:
- University/College Programs and Courses
- Continuing Education Courses
- Distance Learning Programs
- Self-Study Programs
- Courses offered by Professional Associations
The AIHCP reserves the right to approve all such courses for consideration toward re-certification. For any courses to be considered, applicants must submit copies of all certificates of completion or transcripts verifying completion. Applicants who are using their degrees to meet partial fulfillment of the education requirements for certification must have official transcripts submitted from their University or College, directly to the AIHCP.
The American Academy of Grief Counseling offers a Fellowship Program in Grief Counseling for its Certified Members: Access Information. Those who are Certified in Pet Loss Grief Recovery may also seek to achieve a Fellowship in Pet Loss Grief Recovery: Access Information
Click here for the online application. Please print application and postal mail.