Certified Health Care Manager
“Dedicated to Continued Learning, Growth, and Achievement in Health Care Practice”
- Request Information
- Certification Program: Courses and Prices
- Online Application
- Code of Ethics for Certified Members
- Re-certification Criteria
- Continuing Education for Recertification
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Online Resource Board
- Call for Course Authors/Instructors
- Blog: Health Care Manager
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals, Inc. offers a comprehensive, quality, Certification and Continuing Education program for qualified Health Care Managers. Our Certification program is designed for health care professionals and qualified para-professionals who desire to learn and add knowledge, skills and an achieved credential in management and leadership. Our program was developed specifically for front line managers as well as those in department director positions who desire the knowledge and skills to effectively manage human and other resources in today’s challenging and every changing health care environments. The achieved credential helps to provide for greater competitiveness in the management job market in health care as well. Note: This program is not designed for those in Executive positions. For those in Executive Positions The American College of Health Care Executives offers a full credentialing program/Fellowship.
Additional Certification Credential for Registered Nurses: This program offers an additional Certification Credential for Registered Nurses. Registered Nurses may opt to take the additional Module of Continuing Education in Nursing Management. Upon successful completion of the CE Courses in the Health Care Manager Certification program and successful completion of the Nursing Management Module CE Course receive a Dual Certification; the Health Care Manager Certification and the Nursing Management Certification. See below for more details.
Objectives of the Health Care Manager Certification Program are:
- Provide a high quality program of Certification for health care professionals and para-professionals aspiring to add to their practices knowledge and skills sets in health care management.
- Develop and support high standards of education and practice requirements for the attainment of certification in health care management.
- Provide a mechanism for the ongoing involvement of a peer advisory board of qualified professionals to oversee program development and requirements for certification.
- Provide society with a mechanism to ascertain the appropriate education, skills, knowledge and experience required by those who offer such services.
- Establish quality standards and requirements for the re-certification of its credentialed members, attesting to ongoing education and skill attainment in the practice specialty of health care management at the front/line, supervisory level or department director level.
- Provide a comprehensive program of approvals for continuing education, seminars, offerings, independent study, and other related educational activities, to ensure high quality standards are met and that such programs are of value to those in clinical health care positions who also aspire to learn and grow in management and leadership knowledge and skills in health care.
Certified Health Care Managers – requires attainment and/or verification of one of the following certification criteria:
- Completion of an official, established education program to prepare the candidate for the practice of a Health Care Manager. Candidates for the Certification must successfully complete the continuing education program endorsed by The American Institute of Health Care Professionals, Inc. Completion of the required education courses qualifies the educational component necessary to apply for Certification. This program consists of 220 contact hours of continuing education. See Full Program: access here.
- Requisite for all Applicants for Certification: applicants/candidates for certification must meet one of the following prerequisites to enter the program: is a licensed health care professional with a current and active license to practice, which includes the following:
- A registered nurse currently licensed to practice nursing.
- A licensed social worker.
- A health care licensed professional
- A health care provider with a minimum of a bachelors degree.
- A licensed counselor or psychologist.
- Holds a bachelor’s degree or higher in psychology, human services, or other health related field.
- A health care/nurse manager/leader/charge nurse, supervisor/director.
- A licensed allied health care professional.
- A corporate trainer in health care.
- A professional health care case manager.
- A health care manager/supervisor or consultant.
- A licensed physician.
- Or is currently employed in a health care setting with a minimum of five (5) years of work experience and is in a position that includes management/supervisory duties; or is in a position in which a supervisor verifies that the current position is one in which the candidate has the potential to be assigned management responsibilities or be promoted to a position of management/supervision in the future.
If you would like to find out if you meet the qualifications for this certification program. Please submit an Inquiry Form at the following link: Access Here.
Optional, Additional Certification Credential for Registered Nurses
Registered Nurses who complete the Health Care Manager Certification program have the option to continue with the Nursing Management Module in the CE Courses program. Completion of the Nursing Management CE Module qualifies them to receive the additional Certification in Nursing Management. You may preview the Nursing Management CE Module on the Health Care Manager CE Courses page: access here.
Requisite for the Nursing Management Certification: 1. Must be a Registered Nurse with an active license to practice nursing in the United States, or 2. must be a Registered Nurse in a Country outside of the United States with an active license to practice as a Registered Nurse that is equivalent to that of a Registered Nurse practicing in the United States.
Certification – Identification & Credentials
Those applicants who become certified by the AIHCP in this program may use the initials/credential HCM-C, after their names, and may use the title: “Certified Health Care Manager”
Those Registered Nurses who complete the Health Care Manager Certification program and also complete the Nursing Management CE Module and become Certified in Nursing Management, may use these additional initials/credentials, NM-CSp, after their names, and may use the title: “Certified Specialist in Nursing Management.”
All certifications shall be for a period of 4 years from the date that the initial certification.
The Certification Process
We have a dedicated page that provides a quick over-view of our certification process. It will provide you with good information about the process/phases of both the education courses and application for certification. Click here to access.
Certified members may receive re-certification at the expiration of their four year term by:
- Obtaining 50 or more hours of continuing education within the four year period of certification. Click here to view the Criteria for Re-Certification.
Those applicants who have successfully achieved certification, or re-certification receive a large size official Certificate attesting to certification, as well as an official letter of notification. The certificate is suitable for framing and details the official professional certification title, initials that may be used, and time frames for certification. Those re-certifying receive a new, updated certificate. Wallet size identification cards of certification are also presented.
- The certification fee is $200.00 for the four year term of certification. Payment in full is due at the time of application. If an applicant does not meet certification criteria, the application fee is refunded. A completed application must be mailed in to the with full payment to be considered for certification. Application is available on this website. For those RN’s who achieve the dual certification, the Certification fee for the dual Certification is $ 200.00.
- Application for re-certification is $200.00 for the next four year period. This is a one time payment and is required in full at the time of application for re-certification. A completed application must accompany the payment.
- Major credit cards are accepted. Check and money orders are to be payable to: The American Institute of Healthcare Professionals.
Education Programs for Re-Certification
Applicants may obtain education hours by completion of any type of formal program in specifically related to Health Care Management/Leadership. Such programs include:
- University/College Programs and Courses
- Continuing Education Courses
- Distance Learning Programs
- Self-Study Programs
- Courses offered by Professional Associations
The AIHCP reserves the right to approve all such courses for consideration toward certification and fellowship. For any courses to be considered, applicants must submit copies of all certificates of completion or transcripts verifying completion. Applicants who are using their degrees to meet partial fulfillment of the education requirements for certification must have official transcripts submitted from their University or College, directly to the AIHCP.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals, provides a “Fellowship Program” for its certified members in the Health Care Manager Certification Program. Access Information
Click here for the online application. Please print application and postal mail.
Click here for our Policies.
Click here to request more information.
Click here to contact AIHCP, INC.