“Dedicated to Continued Learning, Growth, and Achievement in Health Care Practice”
GRIEF RECOVERY PRACTITIONER CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
The American Academy of Grief Counseling offers an advanced program in Grief Recovery. Candidates who successfully complete the program achieve certification as a Grief Recovery Practitioner. This program is an advanced program and requires specific prerequisites for entry. Candidates must successfully complete the comprehensive education program in order to qualify for certification.
Grief Recovery Practitioners are those practicing at an advanced level with a primary focus on patient care, as well as research and implementation of advanced theories and interventions. Candidates complete the advanced continuing education curriculum to full fill the education component of the program. The advanced education program consists of 360 contact hours of continuing education courses. The program can be taken over a four-year period of time.
THE OBJECTIVES OF THE AAGC ARE:
- Provide high quality programs of Certification and Fellowship for professionals practicing grief/bereavement counseling.
- Develop and support high standards of education and practice requirements for the attainment of certification, fellowship status, and recertification.
- Provide a mechanism for the ongoing involvement of a peer advisory board of qualified professionals to oversee program development and requirements for certification and fellowship in the AAGC.
- Provide society with a mechanism to ascertain the appropriate education, skills, knowledge and experience required by professionals who offer such services.
- Establish quality standards and requirements for the recertification and re-fellowship of its credentialed members, attesting to ongoing education and skill attainment in the practice specialty of grief/bereavement counseling.
- Provide a comprehensive program of approvals for continuing education, seminars, offerings, independent study, and other related educational activities, to ensure high quality standards are met and that such programs are of value to professionals practicing grief and bereavement counseling.
Certified Grief Recovery Practitioner- requires attainment and verification of all of the following certification criteria:
- Candidates must hold current Certification as a Certified Grief Counselor by the American Academy of Grief Counseling.
- Candidates must successfully complete the Grief Recovery Practitioner continuing education courses/curriculum as offered by the American Academy of Grief Counseling. Education Courses/Program: click here
- Candidates must hold a graduate level degree in order to be certified as a Grief Recovery Practitioner. This is an advanced level of grief recovery practice and an earned graduate degree is mandatory for conferral of this certification.Once Certified, members must commit to adherence to the Code of Ethics for Certified Grief Counselors and adhere to their specific profession’s Standards of Practice.
Requires attainment of one of the following criteria:
- The American Academy of Grief Counseling offers a full Continuing Education program of online courses for those seeking to receive the advanced practice level Certification in Grief Counseling as a Certified Grief Recovery Practitioner. Upon completion of the eight (8) courses detailed below, applicants are eligible to apply for and receive Certification as a Certified Grief Recovery Practitioner in the American Academy of Grief Counseling. Each course is provided for in a dedicated online classroom. The courses are designed as independent study/continuing education courses, with one-to-one faculty mentoring. There is open enrollment and students may register and begin the education program at anytime.
Identification & Credentials
Those applicants who become certified by the AAGC- shall be deemed “certified” and may use the initials/credential GRP-C, after their names:
“Certified Grief Recovery Practitioner”
All certifications shall be for a period of 4 years from the date that the initial certification by the AAGC is granted.
The Certification Process
We have a dedicated page that provides a quick over-view of our certification process. It will provide you with good information about the process/phases of both the education courses and application for certification. Click here to access.
Those applicants who have successfully achieved certification, or recertification by the AAGC will receive a large size official Certificate attesting to certification, as well as an official letter of notification. The certificate is suitable for framing and details the official professional certification title, initials that may be used, and time frames for certification. Those recertifying receive a new, updated certificate.
Standards & Code of Ethics
The Code of Ethics for Certified Grief Counselors and Fellows of the American Academy of Grief Counseling may be viewed online by clicking here. The Code of Ethics is approved by the Governing Board and the Advisory Board of the American Academy of Grief Counseling.
- The certification fee for Grief Recovery Practitioners is $250.00 for the five year term of certification. Payment in full is due at the time of application.
- Application for Recertification is $ 250.00 for the next five year period. This is a one time payment and is required in full at the time of application for recertification. A completed application must accompany the payment.
GRIEF COUNSELING CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
For those who are interested in the Grief Recovery Practitioner program and are not currently certified by the American Academy of Grief Counseling, you may obtain full information on the Certification program leading to Grief Counseling certification on our website: click here
The American Academy of Grief Counseling is not affiliated with any other programs of credential evaluation or certifications. The AAGC is not affiliated in any way with any other professional organization related to grief counseling education or practice.
Click here to view education programs and certifying boards/organizations that are approved by the AAGC.
Click here for the Online CEU Continuing Education for Re-Certification.
Click here to request more information.
Click here for the online application. Please print application and submit to:
The American Academy of Grief Counseling
2400 Niles-Cortland Rd. S.E. Suite # 4
Warren, Ohio 44484