Life Coaching: This is a two part course. The first examines the history and development of life coaching as something similar to yet distinct from counseling, therapy and other helping professions. Basic as well as more advanced strategies, attitudes and approaches are described. The development and the marketing of a coaching practice as well as the self-care of the practitioner are covered. The second part is an introduction to “mindfulness” which the author breakdowns into what they call “voices”. Those voices include: master, partner, investigator, reflector, teacher, guide and contractor. Finally, the coach’s responsibility in implementing a plan for their own professional development, education and ongoing training are discussed in detail. Upon successful completion of this course, students are awarded 30 contact hours of continuing education. Course Code: LC 400
Prerequisite to enroll: applications must meet at least one of these position criteria to enter the Health Care Life Coach Program and enroll into this course: for Certification must meet one of these criteria: 1.) a registered nurse currently licensed to practice nursing, 2). a licensed social worker, 3). a health care licensed professional, 4). a health care provider with a minimum of an associate degree, 5). a licensed counselor or psychologist, 6). holds a bachelor’s degree or higher in psychology, human services, or other health related field, 7). a licensed dietician, 8). a certified professional in holistic / integrative health care, 9). a health care educator, 10). a health care case manager, 11). a certified life coach.
Instructor/Course Author: Thomas Schear, Ph.D
Link to Resume
TIME FRAME: You are allotted two years from the date of enrollment, to complete this course. There are no set time-frames, other than the two year allotted time. If you do not complete the course within the two-year time-frame, you will be removed from the course and an “incomplete” will be recorded for you in our records. Also, if you would like to complete the course after this two-year expiration time, you would need to register and pay the course tuition fee again.
TEXTBOOKS: There are two (2) textbooks for the course:
Therapist as Life Coach: Transforming Your Practice by Patrick William and Deborah C. Davis ISBN-13: 978-0393703412 ISBN-10: 039370341X
Link to Purchase on Amazon.com: click here
The Mindful Coach: Seven Roles For Helping People Grow by Douglas K. Silsbee ISBN-10: 0974500356
Link to Purchase on Amazon.com: click here
GRADING: You must achieve a passing score of at least 70% to complete this course and receive the 30 hours of awarded continuing education credit. There are no letter grades assigned. You will receive notice of your total % score. Those who score below the minimum of 70% will be contacted by the American Institute of Health Care Professionals and options for completing additional course work to achieve a passing score will be presented.
BOARD APPROVALS: The American Institute of Health Care Professionals (The Provider) is approved by the California Board of Registered Nurses, Provider number # CEP 15595 for 30 Contact Hours. Access information
This course, which is approved by the Florida State Board Of Nursing (CE Provider # 50-11975) also has the following Board of Nursing Approvals, for 30 contact hours of CE
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals Inc: is a Rule Approved Provider of Continuing Education by the Arkansas Board of Nursing. CE Provider # 50-11975.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals Inc: is a Rule Approved Provider of Continuing Education by the Georgia Board of Nursing. CE Provider # 50-11975.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals Inc: is a Rule Approved Provider of Continuing Education by the South Carolina Board of Nursing. CE Provider # 50-11975.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals Inc: is a Rule Approved Provider of Continuing Education by the West Virginia Board of Examiners for Professional Registered Nurses. CE Provider # 50-11975.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals Inc: is a Rule Approved Provider of Continuing Education by the New Mexico Board of Nursing. CE Provider # 50-11975.
Course Refund & AIHCP Policies: access here
ONLINE CLASSROOM RESOURCES AND TOOLS
* Examination Access: there is link to take you right to the online examination program where you can print out your examination and work with it. All examinations are formatted as “open book” tests. When you are ready, you can access the exam program at anytime and click in your responses to the questions. Full information is provided in the online classrooms.
* Student Resource Center: there is a link for access to a web page “Student Resource Center.” The Resource Center provides for easy access to all of our policies/procedures and additional information regarding applying for certification. We also have many links to many outside reference sites, such as online libraries that you may freely access.
* Online Evaluation: there is a link in the classroom where you may access the course evaluation. All students completing a course, must, without exception, complete the course evaluation.
* Faculty Access Information: you will have access to your instructor’s online resume/biography, as well as your instructor’s specific contact information.
* Additional Learning Materials: some faculty have prepared additional “readings” and /or brief lecture notes to enhance your experience. All of these are available in the online classrooms.
COURSE OBJECTIVES: Upon completion of the course, you will be able to:
- Understand the history of life coaching as a profession and how the practice of coaching is different from and is similar to counseling, therapy and other helping professions.
- Gaining perspective on how to create a life coaching practice either as a part of a larger organization or as a private practitioner.
- Understand how the coach to client relationship differs from similar relationships in the other helping professionals.
- Understand coaching skills and strategies.
- Understand the development and marketing of a coaching practice.
- Understand the need for continuing education and self-care in the coaching practice.
- Understand the concept of and how to cultivate mindfulness.
- Understand the seven (7) “voices” of a coach.
- Understand the concept of and application of the Master role of a coach.
- Understand the concept of and application of the Partner role of a coach.
- Understand the concept of and application of the Investigator role of a coach.
- Understand the concept of and application of the Reflector role of a coach.
- Understand the concept of and application of the Teacher role of a coach.
- Understand the concept of and application of the Guide role of a coach.
- Understand the concept of and application of the Contractor role of a coach.
- Understand the need and have a plan for self-improvement and professional development.