Grief Counseling CE Courses Program
The American Academy of Grief Counseling offers four online CE courses for those who have met the criteria of an earned degree, and would like to complete the requirement for 100 additional hours of continuing education in grief counseling.
Applicants may register for any of the courses provided below. Upon completion of each course, you will be awarded the corresponding continuing education contact hours and receive the CE certificate verifying course completion and the award of education credits. Registration may be completed online, by accessing the links below.
Those seeking Certification in Grief Counseling must successfully complete the four core courses as detailed below. To review information on the Certification program please view this page: click here
Course Fees: Below are listed the required courses for this curriculum. At the end of each course description you will find the course cost listed.
The following CE courses have provider approvals: The American Institute of Health Care Professionals Inc. is an Approved Provider of Continuing Education by the Florida State Board of Nursing and the District of Columbia Board of Nursing. CE Provider # 50-11975 and is a licensed Continuing Education Provider in the State of California, Board of Registered Nursing, Provider # CEP 15595. For additional information please access here.
1. Death, Dying & Mourning
This online CEU course provides a very comprehensive overview of studies, research, and dynamics related to death and dying. Students study many facets of death and dying, as well as major theories, process models, cultural issues, religious issues and other related content. Progression in the course then focuses on processes of mourning and grieving, including effective strategies for assisting the bereaved. Death, dying and mourning is presented also according to various age groups. This course provides for scientific inquiry into death and dying and care of the bereaved. Upon successful completion of this course, students are awarded 30 contact hours of continuing education credits. Course Code: GC 400. Course Cost: $150.00
2. Grief Counseling for the Helping Professions
This online CEU course provides students with a continuation of course content, based on learning from the above course “Death, Dying & Mourning.” Students continue to study other theories and model processes of grieving, as well as more scientific inquiry into these processes. Case studies are provided which allow students the opportunity to better equate theory into practice. The student continues in this course to study and learn many interventions and modalities for use in grief counseling and bereavement education. Upon successful completion of this course, students are awarded 20 contact hours of continuing education credits. Course Code: GC 410. Course cost: $150.00
3. Grief Therapy
This online CEU course provides students with a comprehensive study of Grief Therapy as used today in counseling modalities. Students will study attachment theory, loss and the experiences of grief and the process of mourning. This leads into an in-depth presentation of abnormal grief reactions, complicated mourning processes, and when to use more advanced modalities of care and counseling. Students will study grief therapies and learn when to refer clients for such. Issues of the counselor’s own grief and burn-out syndromes are also addressed. Special situations of grief and mourning are also explored. Upon successful completion of this course, students are awarded 30 contact hours of continuing education credits. Course Code: GC 420. Course cost: $150.00
4. Working With Grieving Children
This online CEU course focuses on working with children suffering a loss. Students learn best methods for working with and talking to children and adolescents about loss and how to provide therapeutic interventions. This course will present learning related to children and adolescents suffering loss of death, divorce, suicides, disabilities and more. The tasks of mourning will be examined from this age groups’ perspective. Students will learn a comprehensive set of communication techniques in working with children and in assisting them to more fully express their feelings of loss. Students will examine children’s fears, how to help them face funerals and memorials and other related dynamics. Content also focuses on abnormal grief reactions and when to refer for therapies. Upon successful completion of this course, students are awarded 20 contact hours of continuing education credits. Course Code: GC 430. Course cost: $150.00
- Prerequisite to enrolling in the continuing education program: registrants must meet at least one of the following; 1.) a registered nurse currently licensed to practice nursing, 2). a licensed social worker, 3). a health care licensed professional, 4). a professional counselor, 5). a licensed psychologist, 6). an ordained minister, 7). a licensed funeral director, 8). a pastoral counselor in active ministry, 9). a graduate degree in educational counseling, 10). a licensed physician, 11). a college degree in human services, psychology, or human behavior, 12). a school counselor 13). other college degrees may be applicable if they are in a related area or if the candidate can verify significant job experiences working with grief/bereavement.
- All courses are continuing education courses and are provided in online classrooms via our website. Upon enrollment a unique identification and password is provided for classroom access. The online classrooms provide full syllabi and course information, including the course exams and evaluations. Students must achieve a minimum score of 70% on the course examination to pass the continuing education courses.
- Participants are given two (2) years from the date of enrollment into the first course, to complete the entire program of four (4) continuing education courses.
- Upon completion of each course, you will be awarded the corresponding continuing education contact hours and receive the CE certificate verifying course completion and the award of education credits. Registration may be completed online, by accessing the links below.
- Participants must complete the entire 100 contact hours of education and meet the pre-requisite as above, to be eligible to apply for Certification
- AIHCP is an approved provider of continuing education by the Florida Board of Nursing and the District of Columbia Board of Nursing. CE Provider # 50-11975.The American Institute of Health Care Professionals, Inc. is a licensed Continuing Education Provider in the State of California, Board of Registered Nursing, Provider # CEP 15595.