This course approaches various counseling aspects from a Christian prism. The first segment primarily deals with the ethics, world views, and procedures of a Christian counselor. Since it is biblically based, it emphasizes Christ as the central figure and paradigm for all Christian counselors. The second segment deals with the Christian world view of happiness. It is imperative that one understands the importance of a proper ultimate end when counseling to the downtrodden. This course directs the future Christian counselor to the proper road of a Christ centered happiness.
In addition, to cultivating a proper world view for the Christian counselor, the third segment of this course addresses the multiple “isms” and problems Christians face in the modern world. This undoubtedly is the largest component of the course for it covers everything from marital problems and abortion to drug abuse and depression: all under a Christian and biblical perspectives.
This course is particularly designed for those who would like to apply for Certification as a Certified Spiritual Counselor in Christian Counseling by the American Institute of Health Care Professionals, Inc,. Course Code: SC 570. Contact hours of Education = 50.
Instructor/Course Author: Mark Moran, M.A.
Resume: access here
This is a guided, independent study CEU Course. You are to study and progress at your own rate. There are no written assignments.
TIME FRAME: You are allotted two years from the date of enrollment, to complete all of the courses required in the Spiritual Counseling- Christian Focused program. There are no set time-frames, other than the two year allotted time. If you do not complete the course within the two-year time-frame, you will be removed from the course and an “incomplete” will be recorded for you in our records. Also, if you would like to complete the course after this two-year expiration time, you would need to register and pay the course tuition fee again.
TEXTBOOKS: There is one (1) required textbook for this course.
Christian Counseling: A Comprehensive Guide. 3rd Edition. By Gary R. Collins, Ph.D. Published by Thomas Nelson, 2007.ISBN-10: 1418503290 ISBN-13: 978-1418503291
Link to Purchase on Amazon.com: click here
Supplemental Readings: are provided by the course author/instructor.
GRADING: You must achieve a passing score of at least 70% to complete this course and receive the 50 hours of awarded continuing education credit. There are no letter grades assigned. You will receive notice of your total % score. Those who score below the minimum of 70% will be contacted by the American Institute of Health Care Professionals, Inc. and options for completing additional course work to achieve a passing score will be presented.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals Inc: is an Approved Provider for Continuing Education by the South Carolina Professional Counselors, Marriage & Family Therapists and Psycho-Educational Specialists licensing board, Provider # 4637. Access information
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals (The Provider) is approved by the California Board of Registered Nurses, Provider number # CEP 15595 for 50 Contact Hours.
This course, which is approved by the Florida State Board Of Nursing (CE Provider # 50-11975) also has the following Board of Nursing Approvals, for 50 contact hours of CE
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals Inc: is a Rule Approved Provider of Continuing Education by the Arkansas Board of Nursing. CE Provider # 50-11975.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals Inc: is a Rule Approved Provider of Continuing Education by the Georgia Board of Nursing. CE Provider # 50-11975.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals Inc: is a Rule Approved Provider of Continuing Education by the South Carolina Board of Nursing. CE Provider # 50-11975.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals Inc: is a Rule Approved Provider of Continuing Education by the West Virginia Board of Examiners for Professional Registered Nurses. CE Provider # 50-11975.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals Inc: is a Rule Approved Provider of Continuing Education by the New Mexico Board of Nursing. CE Provider # 50-11975.
Course Refund & AIHCP Policies: access here
ONLINE CLASSROOM RESOURCES AND TOOLS
* Examination Access: there is link to take you right to the online examination program where you can print out your examination and work with it. All examinations are formatted as “open book” tests. When you are ready, you can access the exam program at anytime and click in your responses to the questions. Full information is provided in the online classrooms.
* Student Resource Center: there is a link for access to a web page “Student Resource Center.” The Resource Center provides for easy access to all of our policies/procedures and additional information regarding applying for certification. We also have many links to many outside reference sites, such as online libraries that you may freely access.
* Online Evaluation: there is a link in the classroom where you may access the course evaluation. All students completing a course, must, without exception, complete the course evaluation.
* Faculty Access Information: you will have access to your instructor’s online resume/biography, as well as your instructor’s specific contact information.
* Additional Learning Materials: some faculty have prepared additional “readings” and /or brief lecture notes to enhance your experience. All of these are available in the online classrooms.
COURSE OBJECTIVES: Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the role of a Christian Counselor
- Be able to identify the Christian world view
- Identify the types of happiness found in temporal life
- Identify the types of sorrows in temporal life
- Direct people better towards a true Christian End
- Identify the various “isms” of false happiness
- Aid clients with a Christian overtone in regards to the many modern problems that plague society
- Counsel with a Christian demeanor, spirituality, and world view
A brief abstract of course content:
- Summary of Dr. Mara’s book on happiness entitled “ Happiness and Christian Hope: Being Joyful in a Fallen World”.
- Christian Counseling: A Comprehensive Guide-Part I Introductory Issues
- Christian Counseling: A Comprehensive Guide-Part II Prominent Issues
- Christian Counseling: A Comprehensive Guide-Part III Developmental Issues
- Christian Counseling: A Comprehensive Guide- Part IV Interpersonal Issues
- Christian Counseling: A Comprehensive Guide-Part V Identity Issues
- Christian Counseling: A Comprehensive Guide-Part VI Family Issues
- Christian Counseling: A Comprehensive Guide-Part VII Control Issues
- Christian Counseling: A Comprehensive Guide-Part VIII Concluding Issues
- Christian Counseling: A Comprehensive Guide-Part IX Future Issues
- Special topics covered include
- Guilt and Forgiveness
- Twenties and Thirties
- Forties and Fifties
- The Later Years
- Conflict and Relationships
- Sex Apart from Marriage
- Sex Within Marriage
- Abuse and Neglect
- Inferiority and Self Esteem
- Physical Illness
- Choosing a Marriage Partner
- Premarital Counseling
- Marriage Issues
- Pregnancy Issues
- Family Issues
- Divorce and Remarriage
- Mental Disorders