One of the richest spiritual and meditative classics of the Western Tradition is St. Teresa of Avila’s “Interior Castle”. This course hopes to guide one through the castle and its Seven Mansions. St. Teresa masterfully takes our hand and leads one through the initiate stages of mediation via purgation and eventually to illumination and union with God. This classic deals with a variety of ideals in the Christian tradition that deal with locutions, discernment, spiritual aridty, states of spiritual ecstasy, and ultimately union with God. If you are interested in meditation or spiritual guidance, this is a critical course to understand and pass.
Course Code: MED 420.
Contact hours of continuing education = 30.
Instructor/Course Author: Mark Moran, M.A.
Link to Resume: Resume
TEXTBOOKS: There is one (1) required textbook for this course.
The Interior Castle, by: St. Teresa of Avila. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (August 21, 2012). ISBN-10: 1475146671 ISBN-13: 978-1475146677
Link to Purchase Directly from Amazon: click here
TIME FRAME: You are allotted two years from the date of enrollment, to complete this course. There are no set time-frames, other than the two year allotted time. If you do not complete the course within the two-year time-frame, you will be removed from the course and an “incomplete” will be recorded for you in our records. Also, if you would like to complete the course after this two-year expiration time, you would need to register and pay the course tuition fee again.
GRADING: You must achieve a passing score of at least 70% to complete this course and receive the 30 hours of awarded continuing education credit. There are no letter grades assigned. You will receive notice of your total % score. Those who score below the minimum of 70% will be contacted by AIHCP and will be permitted one more attempt to retake the online examination.
BOARD APPROVALS: The American Institute of Health Care Professionals (The Provider) is approved by the California Board of Registered Nurses, Provider number # CEP 15595 for 30 Contact Hours. Access information
Course Refund & AIHCP Policies: access here
ONLINE CLASSROOM RESOURCES AND TOOLS
- Examination Access: there is link to take you right to the online examination program where you can print out your examination and work with it. All examinations are formatted as “open book” tests. When you are ready, you can access the exam program at anytime and click in your responses to the questions. Full information is provided in the online classrooms.
- Student Resource Center: there is a link for access to a web page “Student Resource Center.” The Resource Center provides for easy access to all of our policies/procedures and additional information regarding applying for certification. We also have many links to many outside reference sites, such as online libraries that you may freely access.
- Online Evaluation: there is a link in the classroom where you may access the course evaluation. All students completing a course, must, without exception, complete the course evaluation.
- Faculty Access Information: you will have access to your instructor’s online resume/biography, as well as your instructor’s specific contact information.
- Additional Learning Materials: some faculty have prepared additional “readings” and /or brief lecture notes to enhance your experience. All of these are available in the online classrooms.
COURSE OBJECTIVES: Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- To understand the differences between Eastern and Western Tradition, especially as seen by St. Teresa of Avila
- To distinguish between Christian Union with God and Eastern Union
- To know the Seven Mansions of St. Teresa’s “Interior Castle of the Soul” and how they relate to spirituality
- To identify the Purgative, illuminative and Unitive states in Christian Meditation
- To be able to help others discern the source and validity of various locutions and spiritual states
- To be able to counsel others through states of spiritual aridity and help them find solace
- To describe the three states prior to Christian Union with God
- To apply the teachings of St. Teresa to one’s own spiritual life
A brief abstract of content:
- First Mansion
- Second Mansion
- Third Mansion
- Fourth Mansion
- Fifth Mansion