This comprehensive CE course examines Benson’s Relaxation Response and goes well beyond to highlight his work years after its introduction. Students will not only re-examine the relaxation response but will also study other relaxation modalities used from a mind-body health care perspective. Students will study physiology as well as genetics as related to body-mind modalities. Study will continue with the examine of many illnesses and how body-mind modalities are being incorporated into care. Also examined are impressive outcomes related to relaxation modalities and other body-mind modalities. Students will come away with a stronger knowledge of how relaxation strategies are becoming important in overall care delivery.
Course Code: MED 415.
Contract hours of education: 30 hours.
Instructor/Course Author: Dominick L. Flarey, Ph.D, MBA, RN-BC, ANP-BC
Link to Resume: Resume
TEXTBOOKS: There is one (1) required textbook for this course.
Relaxation Revolution: Enhancing Your Personal Health Through the Science and Genetics of Mind Body Healing. By: Herbert Benson, MD and William Proctor, JD. New York; Scribner, a Division of Simon & Schuster:2010.
Link to Purchase on Amazon.com: click here
TIME FRAME: You are allotted two years from the date of enrollment, to complete this course. There are no set time-frames, other than the two year allotted time. If you do not complete the course within the two-year time-frame, you will be removed from the course and an “incomplete” will be recorded for you in our records. Also, if you would like to complete the course after this two-year expiration time, you would need to register and pay the course tuition fee again.
GRADING: You must achieve a passing score of at least 70% to complete this course and receive the 30 hours of awarded continuing education credit. There are no letter grades assigned. You will receive notice of your total % score. Those who score below the minimum of 70% will be contacted by AIHCP and will be permitted one more attempt to retake the online examination.
BOARD APPROVALS: The American Institute of Health Care Professionals (The Provider) is approved by the California Board of Registered Nurses, Provider number # CEP 15595 for 30 Contact Hours. Access information
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals, Inc. is an Approved Provider of Continuing Education by the Florida State Board of Nursing Provider # 50-11975.
OTHER STATE BOARDS OF NURSING
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals Inc: is a Rule Approved Provider of Continuing Education by the Arkansas Board of Nursing. CE Provider # 50-11975.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals Inc: is a Rule Approved Provider of Continuing Education by the Georgia Board of Nursing. CE Provider # 50-11975.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals Inc: is a Rule Approved Provider of Continuing Education by the South Carolina Board of Nursing. CE Provider # 50-11975.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals Inc: is a Rule Approved Provider of Continuing Education by the West Virginia Board of Examiners for Professional Registered Nurses. CE Provider # 50-11975.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals Inc: is a Rule Approved Provider of Continuing Education by the Kentucky Board of Nursing CE Provider # 50-11975.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals Inc: is a Rule Approved Provider of Continuing Education by the New Mexico Board of Nursing. CE Provider # 50-11975.
Course Refund & AIHCP Policies: access here
ONLINE CLASSROOM RESOURCES AND TOOLS
- Examination Access: there is link to take you right to the online examination program where you can print out your examination and work with it. All examinations are formatted as “open book” tests. When you are ready, you can access the exam program at anytime and click in your responses to the questions. Full information is provided in the online classrooms.
- Student Resource Center: there is a link for access to a web page “Student Resource Center.” The Resource Center provides for easy access to all of our policies/procedures and additional information regarding applying for certification. We also have many links to many outside reference sites, such as online libraries that you may freely access.
- Online Evaluation: there is a link in the classroom where you may access the course evaluation. All students completing a course, must, without exception, complete the course evaluation.
- Faculty Access Information: you will have access to your instructor’s online resume/biography, as well as your instructor’s specific contact information.
- Additional Learning Materials: some faculty have prepared additional “readings” and /or brief lecture notes to enhance your experience. All of these are available in the online classrooms.
COURSE OBJECTIVES: Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Discuss how relaxation exercises can positively impact health and vitality
- Define visualization and mental imagery and discuss the benefits of incorporating them into relaxation modalities
- Explain how genetics plays a role in the physiological stress response
- Discuss several health implications of switching genes off and on
- Discuss the roots of mind-body medicine
- Explain the phenomenon of the placebo paradox
- Define and discuss what is meant by the relaxation response milestone
- Explain how the relaxation response is being used in medical treatments and what outcomes are being realized
- Discuss the concepts of Expectation and Belief and how they can be incorporated in relaxation modalities
- Define and discuss the phases of planning for the use of relaxation modalities in a health care treatment plan
- Define and discuss four alternative relaxation treatment modalities used in health care today
- Identify how cognitive behavior therapy is being used in conjunction with relaxation modalities
- Discuss key outcomes for the scientific proof for the effectiveness of mind-body approaches to health care today
- List ten disease states in which the placebo effect has been shown to be effective in symptom reduction or elimination
- Discuss the theory of cancer as an illness with stress as the root cause
- Discuss the concept of Reductionism and its implication in the study and use of mind-body approaches in disease states
- Discuss the concept of emergence
- Define and discuss the repetitive prayer effect
- Discuss three main positive outcomes for the use of preventative medicine
A brief abstract of content:
- The science of mind-body healing
- Genetics and the mind-body connection
- The mind as healer
- Visualization and mental imagery
- The placebo paradox
- The relaxation response and beyond
- The Expectation and Belief Models
- Relaxation response as medical treatment
- The power of relaxation response healing
- Outcomes of using the relaxation response in the treatment of various disease states
- Meanings of various belief models
- Belief over pain
- The placebo effect on various disease states
- The planning for mind-body health strategies
- Remembered wellness
- Healing through cognitive behavior therapy
- Alternative mind-body healing treatments
- Scientific proof for mind-body approaches
- Mind-body treatment approaches to pain
- Cancer and genetics in mind-body treatment
- Concept of reductionism
- The principle of emergence
- The repetitive prayer effect
- The promises of preventive medicine