This course provides focused and comprehensive study in the art and science of “self-hypnosis.” Participants learn theories and skills needed to conduct self-inductions and how to work with thoughts, affirmations and visualizations to benefit the self. Participants also learn a solid methodology for teaching clients how to perform their own self-hypnoses sessions for continued self-practice and effectiveness of outcomes. Effective and sound strategies are explored and allow for first hand practice of hypnosis as well as a means. Students learn the techniques to teach self-hypnosis as a highly effective stress management therapeutic modality.
This course is particularly designed for those who would like to apply for Certification as a Certified Clinical Hypnotherapist by the American College of Hypnotherapy or Certified Stress Management Consultant.
Course Code: MED 300/SM 590.
Contact hours of continuing education = 30.
Instructor/Course Author: Dominick L. Flarey, Ph.D, RN,BC, CH-C
Link to Resume: Resume
TEXTBOOKS: There is one (1) required textbook for this course.
Master the Power of Self-Hypnosis, Author: C. Roy Hunter, Kendall/Hunt Publishing Co.
Dubuque, Iowa, 1998 ISBN: 0806963514
Link to Purchase on Amazon.com: click here
TIME FRAME: You are allotted two years from the date of enrollment, to complete this course. There are no set time-frames, other than the two year allotted time. If you do not complete the course within the two-year time-frame, you will be removed from the course and an “incomplete” will be recorded for you in our records. Also, if you would like to complete the course after this two-year expiration time, you would need to register and pay the course tuition fee again.
GRADING: You must achieve a passing score of at least 70% to complete this course and receive the 30 hours of awarded continuing education credit. There are no letter grades assigned. You will receive notice of your total % score. Those who score below the minimum of 70% will be contacted by AIHCP and will be permitted one more attempt to retake the online examination.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals Inc: is an Approved Provider for Continuing Education by the South Carolina Professional Counselors, Marriage & Family Therapists and Psycho-Educational Specialists licensing board, Provider # 4637. Access information
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals (The Provider) is approved by the California Board of Registered Nurses, Provider number # CEP 15595 for 30 Contact Hours.
Course Refund & AIHCP Policies: access here
ONLINE CLASSROOM RESOURCES AND TOOLS
- Examination Access: there is link to take you right to the online examination program where you can print out your examination and work with it. All examinations are formatted as “open book” tests. When you are ready, you can access the exam program at anytime and click in your responses to the questions. Full information is provided in the online classrooms.
- Student Resource Center: there is a link for access to a web page “Student Resource Center.” The Resource Center provides for easy access to all of our policies/procedures and additional information regarding applying for certification. We also have many links to many outside reference sites, such as online libraries that you may freely access.
- Online Evaluation: there is a link in the classroom where you may access the course evaluation. All students completing a course, must, without exception, complete the course evaluation.
- Faculty Access Information: you will have access to your instructor’s online resume/biography, as well as your instructor’s specific contact information.
- Additional Learning Materials: some faculty have prepared additional “readings” and /or brief lecture notes to enhance your experience. All of these are available in the online classrooms.
COURSE OBJECTIVES: Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Define and discuss the concept/theories of “self-hypnosis.”
- Differentiate between “force” v. “persuasion in self hypnosis scripting.
- Define and discuss the uses of imagination and belief in hypnosis.
- Learn to work with conscious desires in scripting for self-hypnosis.
- Define the alpha state of consciousness and the cues to its emergence.
- Use eye fixation to enhance trance states in self-hypnosis.
- Define and discuss the use of triggers and anchoring in self-hypnosis.
- Describe how to use the power of emotion to enhance outcomes in hypnosis.
- Define and discuss “negative” emotions.
- Discuss issues regarding subconscious resistance to change.
- Define and use other motivators to enhance outcomes in self-hypnosis.”
- Discuss and utilize the “mini vacation” technique in self-hypnosis.
- Understand the use of simple wording to create hypnosis scripts.
- Discuss the concept of using mental exercises in hypnosis.
- Use goal-setting for results oriented outcomes in self-hypnosis.
- Discuss issues related to use of the conscious mind in goal setting.
- Define and discuss functions of the “right” brain.
- Define and discuss the concept of creative energy.
- Define limitations that might be experienced with self-hypnosis.
- Understand the creation and use of effective affirmations.
- Describe how to use affirmations effectively in self-hypnosis.
- Define and discuss major factors that influence behaviors.
- Develop a teaching plan to work with clients desiring to use self-hypnosis.
A brief abstract of content:
- Hypnosis and self-hypnosis
- Using self-hypnosis scripts
- Trance inductions for self-hypnosis
- Use of imagination and belief in self-hypnosis
- Conscious desires in self-hypnosis
- The alpha state of consciousness
- Eye fixation techniques
- Deepening trance in self-hypnosis
- Use of triggers in self-hypnosis
- Use of anchors in self-hypnosis
- Negative emotions and effects
- Subconscious resistance to change
- Use of motivators in self-hypnosis
- Mental exercises
- Creating self-hypnosis scripts
- Goal setting
- Functions of the right brain
- Creative energy
- Use of affirmations
- Developing effective affirmations
- Factors influencing behaviors
- Teaching clients self-hypnosis