This online course is a comprehensive course in organizational behavior and psychology designed for health care professionals practicing in any health care organization or agency. This course provides an in-depth study into the work environment and insights into organizational problem solving. Management theories and concepts are reviewed to provide insight into the actions and reactions of today’s workforce. Both positive and negative dynamics that affect the attainment of organizational objectives are covered in this course. Behavior and Leadership models are studied in addition to analyzing the types of communications used by the workforce. Organizational Social Systems and Culture are examined from many dimensions and students will learn how they effect the overall dynamics and operations of an organization. The study of motivational models and appraisal systems provide insight as to how and why people respond to particular variables. Leadership styles, empowerment and participation are examined as related to organizational behavior topics of study for all future and current managers. A study of the effects of employee attitudes provide guidance to better performance and job satisfaction of the workforce. Students will also examine ethical issues and dilemmas and conflict resolution models and examine how human and organizational behavior play a major role in affecting process and outcomes when such issues are being dealt with in practice.
Students will also examine the nature and psychology of group dynamics and analysis of both formal and informal groups in the workplace and their impact on cooperation, collaboration and decision making. Characteristics of successful teams are covered in the course as well as classic organizational structures. The effects of implementing change at work and employee resistance from a human behavior perspective are examined as well as effective strategies for managing change effectively. This course provides a realistic examination of all aspects of stress and stress management in the work place and strategies to assist managers in dealing with work place stress related issues. The study of Organizational Behaviors across cultures provides an introduction to various management issues that must be addressed in workforce that is multicultural. Other important topics studied include; power and organizational politics, managing communications, and case studies for examining concepts of content in management practice. Course Code: HM 500. Contact hours of Continuing Education = 30.
Level of Complexity: Intermediate
This course is particularly designed for those who would like to become Certified as a Certified Health Care Manager by the American Institute of Health Care Professionals, Inc., however it is also offered to all health care and management professionals who may be interested in taking it.
Instructor/Course Author: Mark C. Barabas, BS, DHA, FACHE
Link to Resume
TEXTBOOK: There is one required Textbook for this course.
Organizational Behavior: Human Behavior at Work 14th Edition. By John W. Newstrom. New York NY: McGraw Hill: 2015. ISBN-10: 0078112826
This textbook can be purchased as new, used, as a rental or as an E-book directly at Amazon.com: click here to access:
This textbook may be purchased or rented at Textbooks.com: access here
This textbook may be purchased (hard copy or E-book) or rented at Chegg Books.com: Access here
This textbook may be purchased at Abebooks.com: access here
List of Book webstores where this book is available: access here
This textbook may be rented, or purchased in loose leave form or hard copy, directly from the publisher (McGraw-Hill Publishers), access here.
You are required to order your own copy of the textbook. Please be sure to order your books as soon as possible so that you can begin your course of study.
Additional Assignments: there are Online Videos that are required for viewing for this course as well. Once enrolled into the course, students are provided with full information regarding Video Viewing and assignments. Videos are NOT required to be purchased.
TIME FRAME: You are allotted two years from the date of enrollment, to complete this course. There are no set time-frames, other than the two year allotted time. If you do not complete the course within the two-year time-frame, you will be removed from the course and an “incomplete” will be recorded for you in our records. Also, if you would like to complete the course after this two-year expiration time, you would need to register and pay the course tuition fee again.
GRADING: You must achieve a passing score of at least 70% to complete this course and receive the 30 hours of awarded continuing education credit. There are no letter grades assigned. You will receive notice of your total % score. Those who score below the minimum of 70% will be contacted by the American Institute of Health Care Professionals and options for completing additional course work to achieve a passing score, will be presented.
BOARD APPROVALS: AIHCP is an approved provider of continuing education by the Florida Board of Nursing and the District of Columbia Board of Nursing. CE Provider # 50-11975. Access information
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals (The Provider) is approved by the California Board of Registered Nurses, Provider number # CEP 15595 for 30 Contact Hours.
This course, which is approved by the Florida State Board Of Nursing (CE Provider # 50-11975) also has the following Board of Nursing Approvals, for 30 contact hours of CE
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals Inc: is a Rule Approved Provider of Continuing Education by the Arkansas Board of Nursing. CE Provider # 50-11975.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals Inc: is a Rule Approved Provider of Continuing Education by the Georgia Board of Nursing. CE Provider # 50-11975.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals Inc: is a Rule Approved Provider of Continuing Education by the South Carolina Board of Nursing. CE Provider # 50-11975.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals Inc: is a Rule Approved Provider of Continuing Education by the West Virginia Board of Examiners for Professional Registered Nurses. CE Provider # 50-11975.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals Inc: is a Rule Approved Provider of Continuing Education by the New Mexico Board of Nursing. CE Provider # 50-11975.
Course Refund & AIHCP Policies: access here
ONLINE CLASSROOM RESOURCES AND TOOLS
* Examination Access: there is link to take you right to the online examination program where you can print out your examination and work with it. All examinations are formatted as “open book” tests. When you are ready, you can access the exam program at anytime and click in your responses to the questions. Full information is provided in the online classrooms.
* Student Resource Center: there is a link for access to a web page “Student Resource Center.” The Resource Center provides for easy access to all of our policies/procedures and additional information regarding applying for certification. We also have many links to many outside reference sites, such as online libraries that you may freely access.
* Online Evaluation: there is a link in the classroom where you may access the course evaluation. All students completing a course, must, without exception, complete the course evaluation.
* Faculty Access Information: you will have access to your instructor’s online resume/biography, as well as your instructor’s specific contact information.
* Additional Learning Materials: All course handouts are available in the online Video classrooms. All E-Learning Books are available in the classrooms for students to download.
COURSE OBJECTIVES: Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
1. Explain the meaning of Organizational Behavior
2. Identify and discuss the key goals and forces with which organizational behavior is concerned
3. Identify and discuss the basic concepts of organizational behavior
4. Explain how organizational behavior affects organizational performance
5. Discuss the limitations of organizational behavioral on understanding organizations and organizational performance
6. Identify and discuss the key elements of an organizational behavior system
7. Describe the role of management’s philosophy and paradigms and how they integrate with organizational behavioral systems, as well as their affects on such systems
8. Compare and discuss alternative models of organizational behavior and their overall effects on organizational performance
9. Analyze trends in the use of alternative models of organizational behavior in organizations today
10. Use an effective two-way communication process for overall performance and goal attainment
11. Identify and discuss common barriers to effective communication
12. Identify and discuss factors that lead to effective communication
13. Identify and analyze downward and upward communications problems
14. Discuss the roles of questioning and listening
15. Utilize social networking tools to achieve communication goals
16. Discuss the impact of electronic communications
17. Explain organizational grapevines and rumors and their effects on overall organizational communications and performance
18. Explain the operation of a social system
19. Explain and discuss the psychological contract
20. Discuss social cultures and their affects on organizations
21. Discuss the value of cultural diversity
22. Describe role and role conflict in organizations
23. Discuss status and status symbols in organizations and their impact
24. Discuss organizational culture and its overall effects on the organization
25. Describe fun workplaces
26. Describe and discuss the motivational process
27. List the major motivational drives
28. Describe the Needs Category Systems
29. Explain behavior modification and reinforcement and how it can be effectively used in enhancing organizational performance and outcomes
30. Discuss goal setting and its effects on the organization
31. Describe and discuss the Expectancy Model of Motivation
32. Explain equity comparisons
33. Explain total reward systems
34. Analyze money as an economic and social medium of exchange
35. Discuss the role of money in motivational models
36. Identify and discuss behavioral considerations in performance appraisals
37. Identify the characteristics of good feedback programs
38. Discuss the power of attribution
39. Discuss how and why to link pay with performance
40. Discuss uses of profit-sharing, gain-sharing, and skill-based pay programs
41. Compare the nature of Leadership and Followership
42. Compare the differences between traits and behaviors
43. Identify and discuss different leadership styles
44. Discuss early approaches to leadership
45. Discuss contingency approaches to leadership
46. Discuss substitutes for leadership
47. Discuss coaching as a leadership role
48. Discuss the nature of empowerment and its prerequisites
49. Identify and discuss the participative process
50. Describe the benefits and the limitations of participation
51. Describe Servant Leadership
52. Discuss the nature of attitudes and job satisfaction
53. Explain the relationship between performance and satisfaction
54. Discuss job involvement and organizational commitment
55. Identify positive and negative effects of employee attitudes
56. Identify the benefits of studying employee attitudes
57. Apply the design and use of job satisfaction surveys
58. Explain a model of legitimacy of organizational influence
59. Discuss how rights to privacy are interpreted
60. Identify the bases for discrimination at work
61. Discuss the use of discipline to change behaviors
62. Discuss the pros and the cons of job enrichment
63. Discuss whistle-blowing as a prosocial behavior
64. Identify the nature and major types of organizational conflicts
65. Identify and discuss conflict outcomes and resolution strategies
66. Discuss assertive behavior and trust building
67. Identify and discuss types of power in organizations
68. Discuss organizational politics and influence and its effects on overall organizational performance, employee attitudes and outcomes
69. Discuss the concept of group dynamics
70. Describe the nature and the effects of informal groups
71. Identify informal leaders
72. Compare the differences between task and social leadership roles
73. Discuss brainstorming, nominal, delphi, and dialectic techniques
74. Identify the weaknesses of group meetings
75. Describe and discuss the nature of teams
76. Describe the life cycle of a team
77. Discuss teamwork and the characteristics of a mature team
78. Describe and discuss self-managing teams
79. Discuss the nature of change
80. Identify the cost and benefits of change
81, Identify resistances to change
82. Identify and discuss basic frameworks for interpreting change
83. Discuss the role of transformational leadership in change
84. Identify practices to build support for change
85. Describe the role of stress in employee health
86. Identify extreme forms of stress reactions
87. Identify causes and symptoms of stress
88. Identify the organizational effects of stress
89. Identify the actions that may prevent or reduce stress
90. Identify and discuss three types of counseling and their usefulness
91. Discuss how culture, social, legal and ethical, political, and economic conditions vary in different countries
92. Discuss the operation of ethnocentrism and cultural shock
93. Identify ways to overcome barriers to cultural adaptation
94. Identify the nuances of cross-cultural communication
COURSE CONTENT ABSTRACT
Fundamentals of Organizational Behavior
Dynamics of People and Organizations
Social Systems and Organizational Culture
Motivation and Reward Systems
Appraising and Rewarding Performance
Leadership and Empowerment
Empowerment and Participation
Individual and Interpersonal Behavior
Employee Attitudes and their Effects
Issues between Organizations and Individuals
Conflict, Power, and Organizational Politics
Informal and Formal Groups
Teams and Team Building
Change and Its Effects
Stress and Counseling
Emerging Aspects of Organizational Behavior
Organizational Behavior Across Cultures