This comprehensive course introduces a system on how to process grief and embrace life after a loss. It can be applied to the personal situation of the student or to be used with clients. Students study different kinds of losses, the dimensions of grief, personal stories, and the system of transformation. This course provides the tools to approach loss in a holistic manner, integrating body, mind, and spirit. These losses may be loss of a loved one, divorce, loss of health or loss of job, among other losses. The purpose of this system is to empower people to embrace people and turn loss into growth.
Course Code: GC 650.
Contact hours of continuing education = 30.
This course is particularly designed for those who would like to apply for Re-Certification as a Grief Counselor with the American Academy of Grief Counseling.
Instructor/Course Author: Ligia M. Houben, MA, FT, FAAGC, CPC
Link to Resume: Resume
TEXTBOOKS: There is one (1) required textbook for this course.
Transform Your Loss: Your Guide to Strength and Hope. By Ligia M. Houben, Insight Publishing, 2009. ISBN # 978-1-60013-490-6
Link to Purchase on Amazon.com: click here
TIME FRAME: You are allotted two years from the date of enrollment, to complete this course. There are no set time-frames, other than the two year allotted time. If you do not complete the course within the two-year time-frame, you will be removed from the course and an “incomplete” will be recorded for you in our records. Also, if you would like to complete the course after this two-year expiration time, you would need to register and pay the course tuition fee again.
GRADING: You must achieve a passing score of at least 70% to complete this course and receive the 30 hours of awarded continuing education credit. There are no letter grades assigned. You will receive notice of your total % score. Those who score below the minimum of 70% will be contacted by AIHCP and will be permitted one more attempt to retake the online examination.
BOARD APPROVALS: The American Institute of Health Care Professionals (The Provider) is approved by the California Board of Registered Nurses, Provider number # CEP 15595 for 30 Contact Hours. Access information
Course Refund & AIHCP Policies: access here
ONLINE CLASSROOM RESOURCES AND TOOLS
- Examination Access: there is link to take you right to the online examination program where you can print out your examination and work with it. All examinations are formatted as “open book” tests. When you are ready, you can access the exam program at anytime and click in your responses to the questions. Full information is provided in the online classrooms.
- Student Resource Center: there is a link for access to a web page “Student Resource Center.” The Resource Center provides for easy access to all of our policies/procedures and additional information regarding applying for certification. We also have many links to many outside reference sites, such as online libraries that you may freely access.
- Online Evaluation: there is a link in the classroom where you may access the course evaluation. All students completing a course, must, without exception, complete the course evaluation.
- Faculty Access Information: you will have access to your instructor’s online resume/biography, as well as your instructor’s specific contact information.
- Additional Learning Materials: some faculty have prepared additional “readings” and /or brief lecture notes to enhance your experience. All of these are available in the online classrooms.
COURSE OBJECTIVES: Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Define Loss
- Explore the different kinds of losses.
- Compare the dimensions of grief and its manifestations.
- Recognize elements of grief in the different stories
- Discuss how loss can be transformed
- Review the system of the eleven principles
- Discuss the value of forgiveness and gratitude
- Apply meditation as a tool in the grieving process
- Explain different kinds of rituals
- Recognize there is life after a loss.
A brief abstract of content:
Life is a succession of losses
What is loss?
Loss from the death of a loved one
Loss from a divorce
Loss of a job
What is grief?
Grieving the loss of a loved one
Bonds of continuation
How do we experience grief?
Grief: Types and manifestations
Manifestations of grief
Sharing our stories
Sharing our stories
The Eleven principles of Transformation™
Accept your loss
Live your grief
Go deeper into the spiritual dimension
Express your feelings
Share with others
Take care of yourself
Live the present
Modify your thoughts
Rebuild your world
Visualize the life you want