“Dedicated to Continued Learning, Growth, and Achievement in Health Care Practice”
***This Certification Specialty is available ONLY to those who are currently Certified as a Grief Counselor in the American Academy of Grief Counseling.***
For information on becoming a Certified Grief Counselor, please visit our program page here: Click Here
The American Academy of Grief Counseling offers comprehensive, quality, Certification and Fellowship programs for qualified professionals including, physicians, nurses, counselors, social workers, funeral directors, clergy and other professional providers practicing in all specialties of Grief Counseling.
The objectives of the AACM are:
- Provide high quality programs of Certification and Fellowship for professionals practicing grief/bereavement counseling with a specialty practice in Christian based grief counseling.
- Develop and support high standards of education and practice requirements for the attainment of certification, fellowship status, and re-certification in Christian based grief counseling.
- Provide a mechanism for the ongoing involvement of a peer advisory board of qualified professionals to oversee program development and requirements for certification and fellowship in the AAGC.
- Provide society with a mechanism to ascertain the appropriate education, skills, knowledge and experience required by professionals who offer such services.
- Establish quality standards and requirements for the re-certification and re-fellowship of its credentialed members, attesting to ongoing education and skill attainment in the practice specialty of grief/bereavement counseling from a Christian perspective.
- Provide a comprehensive program of approvals for continuing education, seminars, offerings, independent study, and other related educational activities, to ensure high quality standards are met and that such programs are of value to professionals practicing grief and bereavement counseling with a specialty in Christian grief counseling.
Certified Grief Counselor with a Specialty Certification in Christian Grief Counseling requires attainment of the following certification criteria:
- Applicants must hold current Certification as a Certified Grief Counselor by the American Academy of Grief Counseling. To review all information on the Grief Counseling Certification program: Access Information
- Completion of the continuing education program in Christian Grief Counseling offered by the American Academy of Grief Counseling. Upon completion of the six (6) core courses in Christian Grief Counseling, the candidate may then apply for official Certification. This program of education consists of core continuing education courses designed to meet the specific education standards as developed by the American Academy of Grief Counseling for the practice specialty of Christian grief counseling. All courses are offered by distance education, and candidates have two full years to complete the complement of courses. For full program information: access here.
Once Certified, members must commit to adherence to the Code of Ethics for Certified Grief Counselors and adhere to their specific profession’s Standards of Practice.
All certifications shall be for a period of 4 years from the date that the initial certification by the AAGC is granted.
The Certification Process
We have a dedicated page that provides a quick over-view of our certification process. It will provide you with good information about the process/phases of both the education courses and application for certification. Click here to access.
CERTIFICATION – IDENTIFICATION & CREDENTIALS
Those applicants who become certified by the AAGC in the specialty of Christian Grief Counseling- shall be deemed “certified” and may use the initials/credentials:
“Certified Christian Grief Counselor”
(Christian Grief Counselor- Certified)
Certified members may receive recertification at the expiration of their four year term by one of the following means:
- Obtaining 50 or more hours of continuing education within the four year period of certification.
- Meet the practice requirements in Christian Grief Counseling for the three year period of initial certification.
- Criteria for Recertification
Those applicants who have successfully achieved certification, or recertification by the AAGC will receive a large size official Certificate attesting to certification as a child/adolescent certified grief counselor, as well as an official letter of notification. The certificate is suitable for framing and details the official professional certification title, initials that may be used, and time frames for certification. Those recertifying receive a new, updated certificate.
Standards & Code of Ethics
The Code of Ethics for Certified Grief Counselors and Fellows of the American Academy of Grief Counseling may be viewed online by clicking here. The Code of Ethics is approved by the Governing Board and the Advisory Board of the American Academy of Grief Counseling.
- The certification fee for Christian Grief Counselors is $200.00 for the four year term of certification. Payment in full is due at the time of application. A completed application must be mailed in to the AAGC with full payment to be considered for certification. Application is available on this website.
- Application for Re-certification is $200.00 for the next four year period. This is a one time payment and is required in full at the time of application for re-certification. A completed application must accompany the payment.
- Major credit cards are accepted. Check and money orders are to be payable to: The American Institute of Healthcare Professionals.
Achieving Fellowship Status
The AAGC provides for a Fellowship status for Certified Grief Counselors. Fellowship is granted following the successful completion of all requirements as defined by the AAGC. Fellowship status is considered the highest form of professional recognition by a certification body, and attests to the Fellow’s ongoing commitment, knowledge attainment, skill, and practice experience in the field of professional Grief Counseling. Those who achieve Fellowship status are deemed a “Fellow in the American Academy of Grief Counseling “, and may use the initials, FAAGC. Fellows may also continue to use the initials GC-C as they maintain their initial certification along with their Fellowship.
Click here for Fellowship Information.
Pastoral Thanatology Certification
The American Academy of Grief Counseling also offers a comprehensive program for “Pastoral Thanatology” Certification. Click here for complete information.
Click here for the online application. Please print application and submit to:
The American Academy of Grief Counseling
2400 Niles-Cortland Rd. S.E. Suite # 4
Warren, Ohio 44484