This online course continues in the study of practice in Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. It provides for comprehensive learning of more of the current principles and practices of attention deficit. Students undertake an in depth study of the challenges ADHD brings. Students will learn the information they need for ADHD and its treatment. With the latest research and resources, this course contains an immense amount of information and expertise about ADHD, including practical strategies that they can apply to help children promote better behavior, strengthen a child’s academic and social skills, and manage life with ADHD. Students will learn how to implement rewards effectively and learn which medication is effective in treating ADHD. In addition, they will learn how to prepare for evaluation and learn guiding principles to provide parents with help in raising a child with ADHD. An eight-step behavior management plan designed for 6 to 18 year olds with ADHD will be discussed in the book. By taking this course, students will learn about different support services they can give to parents with ADHD children and suggested readings and videos they can recommend to parents or teachers to better educate themselves on ADHD
Course Code: AD 575.
Contact hours of continuing education = 40.
This course is specifically designed for those qualifying professionals who are studying to meet the education requirements for re-certification of their status as a Certified Attention Deficit Consultant , by the American Institute of Health Care Professionals, Inc. For Certification Information: access here.
Instructor/Course Author: Helen Nieves, MA, MHC, CCBGT, CRS, SMC-C
Link to Resume: Resume
TEXTBOOKS: There is one (1) required textbook for this course.
Taking Charge of ADHD: The Complete Authoritative Guide for Parents by Russell A. Barkley, Ph.D. United states of America, 2013. ISBN: 978-1-4625-0789-4.
You are required to order your own copy of the textbook. Please be sure to order your book as soon as possible so that you can begin your course of study.
Link to Purchase on Amazon.com: click here
TIME FRAME: You are allotted two years from the date of enrollment, to complete this course. There are no set time-frames, other than the two year allotted time. If you do not complete the course within the two-year time-frame, you will be removed from the course and an “incomplete” will be recorded for you in our records. Also, if you would like to complete the course after this two-year expiration time, you would need to register and pay the course tuition fee again.
GRADING: You must achieve a passing score of at least 70% to complete this course and receive the 40 hours of awarded continuing education credit. There are no letter grades assigned. You will receive notice of your total % score. Those who score below the minimum of 70% will be contacted by AIHCP and will be permitted one more attempt to retake the online examination.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals Inc: is an Approved Provider for Continuing Education by the South Carolina Professional Counselors, Marriage & Family Therapists and Psycho-Educational Specialists licensing board, Provider # 4637. Access information
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals (The Provider) is approved by the California Board of Registered Nurses, Provider number # CEP 15595 for 40 Contact Hours.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals, Inc. is an Approved Provider of Continuing Education by the Florida State Board of Nursing Provider # 50-11975.
OTHER STATE BOARDS OF NURSING
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals Inc: is a Rule Approved Provider of Continuing Education by the Arkansas Board of Nursing. CE Provider # 50-11975.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals Inc: is a Rule Approved Provider of Continuing Education by the Georgia Board of Nursing. CE Provider # 50-11975.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals Inc: is a Rule Approved Provider of Continuing Education by the South Carolina Board of Nursing. CE Provider # 50-11975.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals Inc: is a Rule Approved Provider of Continuing Education by the West Virginia Board of Examiners for Professional Registered Nurses. CE Provider # 50-11975.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals Inc: is a Rule Approved Provider of Continuing Education by the Kentucky Board of Nursing CE Provider # 50-11975.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals Inc: is a Rule Approved Provider of Continuing Education by the New Mexico Board of Nursing. CE Provider # 50-11975.
Course Refund & AIHCP Policies: access here
ONLINE CLASSROOM RESOURCES AND TOOLS
- Examination Access: there is link to take you right to the online examination program where you can print out your examination and work with it. All examinations are formatted as “open book” tests. When you are ready, you can access the exam program at anytime and click in your responses to the questions. Full information is provided in the online classrooms.
- Student Resource Center: there is a link for access to a web page “Student Resource Center.” The Resource Center provides for easy access to all of our policies/procedures and additional information regarding applying for certification. We also have many links to many outside reference sites, such as online libraries that you may freely access.
- Online Evaluation: there is a link in the classroom where you may access the course evaluation. All students completing a course, must, without exception, complete the course evaluation.
- Faculty Access Information: you will have access to your instructor’s online resume/biography, as well as your instructor’s specific contact information.
- Additional Learning Materials: some faculty have prepared additional “readings” and /or brief lecture notes to enhance your experience. All of these are available in the online classrooms.
COURSE OBJECTIVES: Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify ADHD
- Identify the causes of ADHD
- Identify what does not cause ADHD
- Understand the nature of the disorder
- Understand how children develop self-control
- Understand executive functioning and self-control
- Understand the development of executive functioning
- Apply steps to help parents raise a child with ADHD
- Develop tools of relaxation to provide to parents who are overwhelmed with raising an ADHD child
- Develop steps to help a child achieve better behavior
- Apply techniques to help ADHD children with peer problems
- Understand the challenges that ADHD can have on adolescents
- Apply effective communication with ADHD children
- Apply ways to manage a child’s education
- Apply, learn, or provide educators with behavior management methods for the classroom
- Identify the approved effective medicines and side effects
- Learn how ADHD affects family context
A brief abstract of content:
- Defining ADHD
- Causes of ADHD
- Techniques that promote proper behavior
- Strengthening a child’s academic skills
- Strengthening a child’s social skills
- Using rewards and incentives effectively
- Medication management
- The brain’s executive functions
- The development of executive functioning
- The nature of ADHD and what to expect
- The impact ADHD has on the family context
- Evaluation for ADHD
- Ways to cope with ADHD
- Steps to better behavior
- Giving effective commands
- Effective communication
- Helping with peer problems
- Getting through adolescence
- Managing child’s education
- Behavior management methods for classroom
- Using positive consequences
- Using negative consequences